Real-time transcription and sound notifications make everyday conversations and ambient noise easier for the deaf and hard of hearing using just your Android phone.
On most phones, you can directly access live transcription and audio notifications by following these steps:
1. Open your device’s Settings app.
2. Tap Accessibility, and then tap Live Transcription or Sound Notification, depending on which app you want to launch.
3. Use accessibility buttons, gestures, or quick settings (https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/7650693) to start real-time transcription or sound notifications.
• Alerts to potential hazards and personal situations with sounds in the home (eg smoke alarms, sirens, baby sounds).
• Receive notifications via flashing lights or vibrations on your mobile or wearable device.
• Timeline view lets you look back in history (currently limited to 12 hours) to see what’s happening around you.
• Real-time transcription. Text appears on your phone as you speak.
• Choose from over 80 languages and dialects, and switch between languages quickly.
• Add custom words you use frequently, such as names or household items.
• Set your phone to vibrate when someone says your name.
• Type a reply in your conversation. Bring up the phone keyboard and type your words for continuous conversation. Transcriptions continue to display as you type.
• Compare the speaker’s volume with the volume in your environment. You can use this sound indicator to adjust the volume when speaking.
• For better audio reception, use an external microphone from wired headsets, Bluetooth headsets, and USB microphones.
Back to Transcription:
• Option to store transcripts for 3 days. Saved transcriptions are kept locally on your device for three days, so you can copy and paste them elsewhere. (By default, transcriptions are not saved.)
• Search within saved transcriptions.
• Touch and hold text in a script to copy and paste it.
• Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) and higher.
Live Transcribe & Sound Notifications was created in partnership with Gallaudet University, America’s premier university for the deaf and hard of hearing.
Join https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/accessible to provide feedback and receive product updates. If you need help using live transcription and sound notifications, please contact us at https://g.co/disabilitysupport.
Microphone: Live Transcribe requires a microphone to transcribe the speech around you. Audio is not saved after processing the transcription. Sound notifications require the use of a microphone to hear the sounds around you. Audio is also not saved after processing is complete.
Accessibility Services: Since this app is an accessibility service, it can observe your actions.